The Interested Soldier

This is a airing of grievances, not an objective review


08 August 2007

I know why

A woman came into our strongpoint house several days ago with her toddler son. She was looking for information about her husband. He’d been kidnapped last winter and she had heard almost nothing about him in months – just rumor and possible sightings from people imprisoned with him. The first thing that struck me was her age – she was in her 30s and her husband was in his 60s. The next thing was her demeanor. She was so calm. Perhaps the intervening time since his kidnapping had tempered her emotions, or perhaps it was denial about the likely possibility that her husband was dead, but her ability to talk calmly, normally, about her situation was indeed strange.

I’m doing well here. My platoon is getting along well - in the sense that they are doing the right thing and working well, and that there really isn’t any infighting. I’ve done a couple stupid things, pissed a couple people off (mostly outside the platoon), but for most part, my screw ups have been minor, new guy stuff. That said, the air of “let’s get the fuck out of here” has definitely affected me. Part of it is that I really want to get back to the states and, for the first time in one and a half years, actually have a semi-permanent home. Of course, there is also the part where I want to get the fuck out of this country (with the heat, the shitty phones and internet, the dust, the shitty facilities, and of course, people wanting to kill you).

So, Kuwait will likely be better than here (better communications, and I’m hoping for better accommodations), and it will mean I’m closer to being back at Lewis, and closer to being able to see you all. It will also mean I lose my guys for a month or so, which sucks, but at least I’ll have company. A buddy of mine will be on the same detail with me. Not so bad, and I get a little extra money to be able to afford furniture, block leave travel, et al.

Also, don’t send me any more packages. I won’t be able to get any mail that hasn’t already been sent until I get my new address in Kuwait, so don’t waste your money. Thank you all again for all the awesome stuff you’ve sent. It has meant a great deal.

And yet I’m still in a shitty mood. Huh.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, 09 August, 2007, Blogger Art said...

You're very observant and articulate. Good persepctive. Close vantage point. There's an interesting speech by Wes Clark I'd enjoy discussing with you upon your return. Take very good care.

 
At Thursday, 09 August, 2007, Blogger Mary said...

Hi David- I was late to the game noticing you had resumed blogging. Just caught up on everything a few days ago and it made me quite pensive. Couple that with the fact that I am temping in the IMF now and my window looks out over GW's campus, and I have been wistful lately. Anyways, glad to hear everything is going well, or as well as possible anyways. In a future post or an email to me please do tell what kind of things you'd like sent when you get your address in Kuwait. Take care and much love to you always.

 
At Thursday, 09 August, 2007, Blogger eLiz said...

I never like reading that you are in a shitty mood. Especially when you are too far away for it to be helped.

The kids want you to come play in the sprinkler with us now. I told them you probably wished you could.

(I always feel the need to comment on your blog, just because I can't stand the fact that there's nothing else I can do in response to it - to the situation, to your mood, to you - and you know me. I have to do SOMETHING. Come home safe so I can at least babble and nag you via less inane means)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home