The Interested Soldier

This is a airing of grievances, not an objective review


11 August 2007

Quick update

Another commo blackout. Not sure what happened, though I’ve heard a couple possibilities – either way, I’m fine. Back in for a couple days, finally, though I still have a lot to work on. I almost look forward to being in sector now, if only because I have a good idea of what to do out there. Back on the FOB we’re moving back and forth from one weird BS tasking to another – whether it’s packing and repacking our shipping containers (which will have to be un- and re-packed at least 3 more times in 2 or more locations) or getting together more lists and numbers and names to shovel into the gaping maw that is the Army’s redeployment paperwork engine (I’ve been reading some steampunk).

However, it’s trying to do both – go on mission and do BS – that’s tough. And of course, it all means that going home is always tantalizingly on the horizon. Of course I’m lucky I get to go home so soon, my guys have been here 15 months, Audrey will be here near a year before she goes, etc. In the end, it reminds me of the end of high school - that summer after graduation, waiting to go to college. This line of thought - that I’m almost done with one thing, waiting for the next thing to begin – sucks. Of course, to make the analogy work, I’d have to be taking high school finals two weeks before I moved off to college, and having no summer – except for the heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home