The Interested Soldier

This is a airing of grievances, not an objective review


11 September 2007

It means austerity

I’ve begun to appreciate the sense of asceticism this place requires. I’ve never thought of America as decadent – at least not in a bad way – but the, if you will, Spartan lifestyle has some appeal. This is not to say that I am living like a monk – I have my computer, DVDs, AC, when I wrote this I had my own room – but compared to the life I’ve been accustomed to, this place is a major change.

Part of it is the level of free time. This refers much to Baqubah than Taji, Baghdad or Kuwait, as I haven’t been to busy outside of Baqubah, but while we were still doing combat ops, we’d be out for several days at a time, O’d be walking with about 100 lbs of gear in 115 F heating, eating crappy, or at least unappetizing food. The dearth/lack of internet, TV, phones, distractions makes you think more, has made me write more. Like camping or rehab, my time here has allowed me to appreciate what I had in the States, and realize that I didn’t need it quite as much as I thought I did. The combination of near constant GI pathology and mediocre food, along with natural exercise has made me lose weight – which I now need to work to keep off, hence the gym.

I've said privately that I wish I was set to be here longer. I was conducting combat operations for only two and a half months. About long enough to really get the hang of it and then stop. I kind of hoped for Iraq to be my forty days, or fifteen months, in the desert. I will not be complaining too hard, obviously, but A huge reason I wanted to come over here was to learn about myself. I've done that, but not to the degree I had hoped.

Much more on all this later.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 11 September, 2007, Blogger CJ said...

Just because it is the 11th, even though the connections between that day and the current war are tenuous at the very best, I was wondering if the mood where you are is different today- more somber, more angry, anything? Are people talking about it?

I hope you are satisfied with your self-exploration. I think you can continue back here, too.
<3, cj

 
At Tuesday, 11 September, 2007, Blogger Interested Soldier said...

Perhaps... to be fair, this post ws written a week or two ago, I just had never gotten around to posting it. It appears to be a normal day here - as evidenced by my latest post.

 
At Wednesday, 12 September, 2007, Blogger eLiz said...

On a completely unrelated note, and one you (David) can't follow, everyone else should go to
www.indietits.com
and go to the archive from Sept 12!

(Sorry, David)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home