The Interested Soldier

This is a airing of grievances, not an objective review


12 June 2007

A quick update and some thoughts

First the quick update. I'm still here in Baghdad. I'm at FOB Liberty near the Baghdad Airport. Living conditions here are even nicer than in Kuwait. I have a real (though broken) bed with two mattresses, we have AC, more power outlets than I can shake a stick at (though, to be fair, sticks are not all that prevelent), amd terrible, expensive WiFi. The down side is mostly the long walks to get anywhere. The Kuwait FOBs were much, much smaller, ergo, shorter walks. No Starbucks that I've found, though there is a Cinabon. If anyone would like me t pick up something while I'm here (interesting jewelry, cheap knock-off electronics, Cuban cigars, rugs) let me know and I'll see what can be done.

I'm heading up to FOB Warhorse (Baquoba) in the next couple of days to meet my unit (finally). I'm going to be the leader of an anti-tank platoon (3 Strykers with TOW missile tubes on top). Evidently I may also get some other guys, or possibly some more Strykers as well, depending on mission. Anitipating greatly. Another cool side: My friend Audrey is already there. She's been leading a Military Police platoon up in Baquoba for a couple months now. So, party.

Enough of me. Found this delightful article on the web : Video Recording Leads to Felony Charge
. Essentially, a man was arrested for video taping a traffic stop he was involved it. He was in the passenger seat and recorded the interaction of the driver and the officer during a stop, using his phone. He was arrested for illegal wiretap. Yep. Evidently, if the sound had been off, he'd have no problem. Ironically enough, the police officer was also recording the traffic stop from his police car.

First thing: This goes straight to the ability of the public to demand accountiblility from police. What possible reason could the police have for preventing the man from recording. He did not leave the vehicle or interfere with the traffic stop in any way. He sat there, holding a camera phone. Would the police have arrested a bystander on the street with a camcorder? Considering that a, the police car camera was recording the event (which should a public record, and if not, could be FOIA'd), and b, the possiblity (and legality) of any number of security cameras in the vicinity, the police should have absolutely no leg to stand on to prevent taping of stops.

Second thing: While this stop didn't get violent, it makes me think of the Rodney King incident. The only reason (some of) those officers were tried at all is because of the video taping of Mr. King's beating. Without the ability of the citizenry to hold police accountible for their actions (even if in this case, prior to arresting the passenger, they were doign nothing wrong), we lack a serious check on governmental power in this (well, that) country. Look at the police response the Mayday march in Los Angelos last month. Does anyone believe the current Police chief would have had the same reaction to the melee without the aftermath of the Rodney King video? I don't mean to get sappy, but, "protect and defend the Constitution" is kind of the reason I'm over here. I hope that the ACLU or some similar body gets involved in this case. If anyone finds any more news on this case, or relevent caselaw, please, post it in the comments.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home